top of page

Match Report Street 2-1 Wellington

Street secured an important win in the Western League Premier Division yesterday evening to keep in touch with the early season pace setters. The score line would suggest a tightly contested affair but in reality the Cobblers produced a fantastic display of attacking football and going on chances created they should of been way out of sight come the final whistle.

The opening exchanges were fairly even with the first effort at goal not coming until the 20th minute when the ball broke to Harry Foster in the box but his shot from 10 yards went inches over the bar. Street got there noses in front on the half hour mark when good build up play by Dave O'Hare allowed Craig Herrod to get a shot away and after his initial shot was saved made no mistake with the follow up and hammered it home. Street continued to see plenty of the ball with Ollie Morris and Aiden Chainey impressing in the middle of the park as Street set about grabbing that all important second goal. Half chances came and went for Josh Bennett, O'Hare and Herrod but the score at half time remained 1-0.

The second half was all one way traffic as Street took a firm grip on the game with Foster and Josh Wadham both firing over when well placed. The impressive Wadham put in a series of dangerous crosses into he box with O'Hare, Foster and Herrod just failing to connect with. The hard working Foster was denied on the hour mark when his header was expertly tipped away by the vising keeper. Street continued to probe and despite all the possession looked like that second goal wasn't going to come.

Wellington nearly hit back with an equaliser when on 80 minutes Josh Bennett attempted clearance was expertly tipped over by the ever alert Tom Punchard. Street once more responded and on 86 minutes the returning Steve Murray broke clear of the Wellington backline rounded the goalkeeper but his effort could only find the side netting. Murray wasn't to be denied when on 89 minutes he picked up a pass from O'Hare and riffled his shot past the keeper from the edge of the box. The action didn't stop when on the stoke of full time Wellington hard graft and determination paid off when Connor Pengelly slotted from close range.

Man of the Match: Aiden Chainey

bottom of page