top of page

Street 4-0 Wells

Street claim derby spoils

It was a night of a landmark goal, an own goal, a terrific goal, and a red card all served up to a healthy crowd of 100 plus despite Storm Aileen's efforts to keep people away from a very wet and windy Tannery.

Derby games between the two sides rarely disappoint and they didn't do in this occasion either. It was Street's superiority shining through on the night as they completed a comfortable 4-0 win to move up to second in the table.

It was Wells who had the first opportunity on 15 minutes when ex Cobbler Sam Andrews broke down the left but his effort failed to test Tom Punchard in the Street goal. On 20 mins came Street's came first chance with Craig Herrod's drive flashing past the post on the angle. Five minutes later Steve Murray got his header all wrong after a cross from the right and it flew wide. The first goal came on 28 minutes when a move down the left involving Dave O'Hare and Lewis Tasker with the latter sending the ball into the box which caused a mix up between the Wells GK and his defence and the defender rolled the ball into his own net under pressure from Murray.

The second goal arrived soon after when an perfectly weighted through ball by Ross McErlain was latched onto by Murray who cut inside and smashed into the bottom corner. That finish was Steve's 200th Western League goal in his 240th game, with both Street and co-incidentally Wells City.

On the stroke of half time Josh Wadham picked the ball up on the right and brilliantly beat two defenders at pace before being fouled in the box. Murray converted the penalty for his second and Street's third on the night to make it 3-0 at half-time.

Conditions progressively got worse with Street starting the half dominating possession. Murray went close with a lob on 55 minutes but his effort dropped the wrong side of the post. Just after the hour mark things got more difficult for Wells when striker Ryan Pledger got his marching orders for a second yellow.

The vocal support had to wait until the 80th minute for for the next goal but it was worth the wait when substitute Dale Hunt collected the ball in a pocket of space 25 yards out and curled a brilliant effort into the top corner. He nearly added a second moments later but couldn't quite convert Harry Foster's cross from the left as the ball sailed over from close range.

The game ended 4-0 to the Cobblers, big thank you to all the supporters that braved the conditions!

Man of the match Ben Amghar

bottom of page