top of page

Cribbs 1-3 Street

Cobblers red hot league form continues

Street secured their 8th league win on the bounce away at Cribbs this afternoon and cement their place at the top of the Western League Premier Division. With the chasing pack involved in FA Vase action it was an ideal opportunity for the Cobblers to put pressure on the teams below them and produced a comprehensive display to run out 3-1 winners.

A minutes silence for remembrance day was impeccably observed by both teams before kick off. When the action did get underway it didn't take long for the action to hot up as Street were quickest out the blocks when after 6 minutes a fast break down the right by Josh Wadham saw him fizz a delightful ball across the box for Steve Murray to hammer home from close range. Cribbs responded fairly well and Tom Punchard had to be at his best when the Cribbs striker broke through but managed to tip the ball onto the bar and away.

Street continued to have plenty of possession with Aidan Chainey and Matt Hurley very dominant in the middle of the park but it wasn't until 5 minutes before half time when Street had their next opportunity with Murray broke free down the left but his effort was smashed against the legs of the Cribbs goalkeeper. Cribbs nearly equalised on the stroke of half time when a header from a corner was cleared off the line by the impressive Chainey.

The second half started with the Cobblers searching for that all important second goal and it nearly came on 51 minutes when Murray's initial shot was saved but he retrieved the ball to cross for the head of Wadham but again the keeper made a fine save. The conditions were worsening as the rain started to fall but Street remained focused and got a deserved second goal on the hour mark. Jake Mawford picked up the ball in the middle of the park and released Wadham who crossed for Craig Herrod to score despite a valiant attempt by the defender on the line to keep it out.

A more relaxed Street started to play some brilliant football with Mawford central to most of Street's attacking play. It was that man Mawford who scored Street's third on 71 minutes when he dummied his man before riffling his effort into the top corner. Another Wadham cross on 89 minutes found the head of Harry Foster but his effort was again brilliantly kept out. Ross McErlain and Ben Amghar had excellent games at the heart of the Street defence but were unable to prevent a very late Cribbs consolation which was the last of the action and the game finished 3-1 to the Cobblers.

Man of the Match Aidan Chainey

Friday night football next up Street as they play host to Bradford Town in the Les Phillips Cup, kick off 19:45. Please come and show your support!

bottom of page