top of page

Odd Down 1-2 Street

Winning run continues

Street recorded their 16th league win on the bounce to go 7 points clear at the top of the Western League Premier Division. A cold afternoon at the Lew Hill Memorial Ground saw Street put in a professional performance to record another 3 points and keep the run going.

Street started the game in the ascendancy pinning the opposition in their own half from the first whistle, and took only 5 minutes for the first chance as Josh Wadham fired over on the angle when well placed. On 15 minutes Street took a deserved lead, when Steve Murray picked up the ball with his back to goal and a brilliant turn to beat his marker saw him feed the on rushing Aidan Chainey who slid his effort into the far corner for his first goal of an excellent season. Street were not prepared to sit back on their lead although further chances were difficult to come by despite blocked efforts from Lewis Tasker and Craig Herrod.

On the half hour mark Street increased their advantage when a well hit Wadham free kick took a deflection which wrong footed the Odd Down keeper and nestled in the far corner. Five minutes before half time Street had the chance to put the game to bed when a brilliant ball by Wadham was latched onto by Dave O'Hare who was brought down by the on rushing keeper in the box. Ross McErlain’s penalty was expertly saved and cleared by the home defence.

Ten minutes into the second half Odd Down were down to ten men following a over the ball challenge but to the hosts credit they remained competitive as Street looked for a third goal. A two minute spell on the hour mark saw Lewis Hogg and Wadham fire over which would of killed the game off. Street were content dominating possession despite creating no further clear cut chances with Chainey and Matt Hurley in terrific form in the middle of the park. Odd Down reduced the deficit on the stroke of full time following a corner that struck the cross bar and the follow up was tucked away from close range.

Ben Robertson was excellent in front of the back four in the closing stages as Street survived a late penalty shout to claim a very useful  3 points on a hard bobbly pitch. Man of the match was Aidan Chainey who was generously presented a Toblerone for his efforts by club captain Ben Amghar! 


bottom of page