top of page

Clevedon Town 2-3 Street

Win number 24 on the bounce for Street

Street secured another 3 points this evening to edge ever closer to Southern League Promotion and continued their quite remarkable winning streak. It was the Cobblers 3rd game in 6 days and had to rely on every ounce of grit and determination to see off a spirited Clevedon Town side who pushed Street hard for 90 minutes.

Street were fast out the blocks and it was Steve Murray who smashed an effort against the upright from the edge of the box after only 5 minutes. On 12 minutes Street took the lead when a ball over the top caused hesitation in the Clevedon defence and the keepers rushed clearance was charged down by Craig Herrod who rolled the ball into an empty net. Just beore the half hour mark Street increased thier advantage when Dave O'Hare’s superb pass set Herrod away down the left and his cross cannoned in off the unfortunate Clevedon defender under pressure from Murray, Five minutes later the hosts pulled a goal back following a quick throw in and the striker nipped in to round Tom Punchard and score past two defenders covering on the line. On 40 minutes Clevedon were back on level terms when a whipped free kick from out on the left was nodded in from 8 yards out.

It looked like it may not the Cobblers day shortly after half time when a Ben Robertson header flew over the bar and then O'Hare couldn't quite get his side footed effort on target. Clevedon were getting on the front foot at every opportunity and Punchard was kept busy making two smart saves, On 60 minutes Street got thier noses back in front when Herrod was released down the left and fizzed a low cross into the box which O'Hare got a toe on and the ball fell to Jake Mawford at the far post who made no mistake.

The task got a little harder for Street on 75 minutes when Matt Hurley was shown a red for a off the ball incident. Lewis Waldy's long rage effort was well saved as Clevedon started throwing men forward at every opportunity in search of a equaliser. A big moment came on 88 minutes when a direct free kick from Clevedon was heading in but Ben Amghar used all his experience to position himself back on the line at the last second to clear the ball  away, brilliant defending by the skipper!

No rest for Street as we go again on Saturday this time we welcome Cribbs to the Tannery. Preview on line tomorrow. 


 Man of the match was Jake Mawford appreciating his can of coke brought by the gaffer!

bottom of page