top of page

Street 2-2 Brislington

Winning League Streak Finishes at 26

A blazing hot spring afternoon at the Tannery drew a large crowd hoping to see Rich Fey's charges extend their winning streak to 27 games but a resolute Brislington side shared the spoils.

The Cobblers started brightly and they only took 6 minutes to take the lead, a direct free kick from 22 yards saw Jake Mawford curl the ball around the wall, the Brislington keeper managed to get his finger tips to it but not enough to keep it out. The next 20 minutes saw both teams settle with a couple half chances apiece with some long range efforts not troubling either keeper. Brislington managed to get level on 27 minutes when a defensive error saw a Brislington striker stride into the box only to brought down by stand in Street keeper Joe Moore, only a yellow for Moore due to the double jeopardy rule but the penalty was dispatched low to Moore's right.

Street were somewhat taken aback and their usual fluidity was lacking, again no real chances created and it was Brislington that took the lead on the stroke of half time, again capitalising on defensive error the Brislington winger pinged a deep cross from the right for their striker to volley home unmarked at the far post. A familiar feeling going in behind at half time but the Cobbler faithful were hopeful of improvements in the second half.

Brislington giving Street a guard of honour as they entered the pitch.

Half time saw just the one change with Ross McErlain replacing Ben Robertson, Street started to get back into the game beginning to dominate the ball and limiting Brislington's attack. Clear chances were few and far between which saw the introduction of Dave O'Hare and Steve Murray and this looked like an instant masterstroke by Fey when a lofted cross was chested down by O'Hare and Lewis Waldy stabbed the ball into the back of the net but to no avail as the linesman raised his flag for offside.

However it wasn't long before the Cobblers were on level terms when on 82 minutes Lewis Waldy was crudely fouled in the box giving the referee an easy decision to give a penalty, Cobbler fans held their breath as Josh Wadham took the ball to the spot but they needn't have worried as he put an unstoppable effort into the corner.

The last 10 minutes saw an entertaining finale as the Cobblers went for win number 27 but they were nearly undone by a mazey run from the Brislington right winger who ran from his own half and managed to get past 3 Street defenders but as he entered the box the imposing Moore rushed out and the winger ran out of steam putting his effort tamely wide. Street them piled on the pressure and created 2 half chances with Wadham blazing a volley over from a difficult tight angle then putting an effort just over the bar from 25 yards. Overall probably a fair result on the day.

Thanks to Fit4Sport Sports Injury Management for sponsoring the match.

No let up as the Cobblers enter the final week of their league campaign with another home game on Monday night against Bridport followed by an away visit to Buckland Athletic before the final league game of the season at the Tannery against Chipping Sodbury Town where the league trophy presentation will take place.

Street U8's were mascots for the day enjoying the sunshine and a half time penalty shoot out.

Street U8's were mascots for the day.

Half time Dabz!


bottom of page