top of page

Street 2-2 Paulton Rovers

Bank Holiday Spoils Shared

The Cobblers drop their first points of the season and weren't quite on top form today as a 4th game in 9 days looks to have taken it's toll against a combative Paulton Rovers side.

Match Sponsor Richard Palette Presents Today's Man of the Match to Ed Butcher

Street started the game the brighter team and nearly got a goal after 10 minutes when the impressive Ed Butcher collected a superb Aidan Chainey through ball to cut in from the right and let fly from distance with his effort beating the keeper but just whizzed just over the bar. The Cobblers kept applying pressure and a few half chances came and went with Tom Punchard in the Street goal rarely being called into action. The deserved break through came on 33 minutes when a free kick from just inside Street's half was floated into the box and as 2 players challenged for the ball Ed Butcher was waiting to pounce on the second ball and let rip with a fine shot that fizzed across the keeper and into the top corner. The Cobblers would have taken a deserved half time lead but on 43 minutes Paulton showed that you need to be at your best all the time when a miscommunication at the back saw Hillard capitalise and level the scores.

The second half started the same as the first with the Cobblers looking the most likely of the 2 teams to score with some further chances created but without troubling the Paulton keeper. Then on 58 minutes a classic counter attack from Rovers down the right saw a cross met with a scuffed shot that left the defence flat footed and for Paulton's Gay to slide in and guide the ball into the net for 2-1. In response Manager Rich Fey then made an instant tactical change bringing on Lewis Waldy & Phil Ormrod and it nearly paid dividends straight away with Waldy playing in Butcher who turned his man on the wing to send a dangerous cross over for Ormrod who did well to get his head on it but his header powered just over the bar. The Cobbler faithful didn't have long to wait for the equaliser when on 74 minutes Steve Murray dribbled passed a defender on the left wing to reach the byline and cut a ball back to Ormrod who showed his strength to hold off his man and rifle in to the net, The remaining game time saw a couple of half chances for both teams with neither keeper truly tested, overall an entertaining game and the crowd of 269 left happy.

Tomorrow see's the draw for the 1st Qualifying round of the FA Cup so watch this space to see who we're paired against, tie to be played Saturday 8th September.

Next up is an away trip to AFC Totten this coming Saturday 1st September, Coach leaves at 11am please contact Clive Kemmish on 07958 662006 to book your seat.

bottom of page