top of page

Wellington 1-2 Street

Street make it 17 wins in a row to surge 10 points clear

Street showed great resolve and character to come from a goal behind and then down to 10 men to claim a massive 3 points as they opened up a 10 point gap at the top of the Western League Premier Division. 

Street started brightly enough and were some how not 1-0 up as Craig Herrod, Dave O'Hare, Steve Murray and Josh Wadham all had shots from inside the box following a corner but resolute defending and excellent goal keeping kept the Cobblers out. Moments later Wellington took the lead through Joe Chamberlain who rocketed a free kick into the top corner from 25 yards, a brilliant strike giving Tom Punchard no chance in the Street goal.

Street were struggling to create any clear cut chances but remained organised and were probing at every opportunity. A great run and shot from Lewis Hogg after 20 minutes nearly leveled the scores up and on 37 minutes Murray failed to connect properly from 12 yards out after good build up play. At the other end Punchard pulled off a brilliant save tipping a fierce drive round the post to keep the Cobblers firmly in the game.  Five minutes before the break, Street grabbed a deserved equaliser when excellent build up play between Herrod and Aidan Chainey saw the latter feed O'Hare in the box who made room for himself before sliding the ball inside the far post.

The second half began with both sides looking to get on the front foot but it was advantage Wellington when Matt Hurley received his marching orders when his tackle was deemed reckless. Manager Rich Fey re-organised his troops and Street had no intention of settling for a point despite being down to 10 men and the positive mind set paid off on the hour mark. The ever dangerous Murray picked up the ball inside the left hand channel and beat his man with a sharp turn of pace before teeing up Wadham who made no mistake from 5 yards.

Street made positive substitutions bringing on Jake Mawford and Harry Foster as they looked for that goal to secure all 3 points. It was Foster who nearly got that goal when he skipped round his marker but saw his shot go inches wide with the keeper well beat. Wellington had the final effort at goal moments before the end but it flew high and wide as Street closed out the game to the delight of the strong away support.

Man of the match was Dave O'Hare congratulated by Jason Depledge and Clive Kemmish

Next up for Street is a home game with Cadbury Heath this coming Saturday.

bottom of page